APPENDIX I – Travel Documentation

What documentation do I need to fly?

It is each passenger’s responsibility to ensure that they have valid travel documentation that complies with Flyvalan’s requirements, and those of immigration and the authorities at each destination. Please take into account that:

  • All passengers should bring a valid travel document, including babies and minors.
  • Passports for traveling outside the European Economic Area (EEA) should be valid for the entire period of your expected stay.
  • Any children or babies who need a visa should travel with the adult appearing in the visa photo.

In order to guarantee compliance with regulations, passengers should bring a valid passport (and visa, if necessary) or a national identity document (National ID) issued by an EU/EEA member government for all journeys. Passengers will be responsible for all fines, penalties, or costs resulting from failing to comply with this requirement.

Citizens of countries that are members of the Schengen Agreement can fly within the Schengen Area with only a valid National ID. The member countries of the Schengen Agreement are: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, the Czech Republic, the Slovak Republic, Sweden, and Switzerland.

The information on travel documents for passengers (including children and babies) should be entered in during the online check-in process.

For all flights, passengers should present their valid travel document and their boarding pass at the security checkpoint at the airport and at the boarding gate.

The only travel documents that Flyvalan accepts are:

  • A valid passport.
  • A valid National ID issued by a member of the EU or a member of the Schengen Agreement. Said countries are: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, the United Kingdom, the Czech Republic, the Slovak Republic, Romania, Sweden, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
  • A valid Spanish family register (for Spanish minors under 14 who fly with their parents or legal guardians, on national flights within Spain).
  • A valid ‚Certificato Di Nascita‘ (Italian birth certificate) with photo (minors under 18 years old who fly with their parents or legal guardians, on domestic flights within Italy).
  • A valid collective passport, issued by an EU/EEA country.
  • For domestic flights in Italy, those equivalent identity documents based on the article 35.2 of the DPR (Decreto del Presidente della Republica, [Decree of the President of the Republic] No. 445/2000, dated December 28, 2000.
  • For domestic flights in Spain, a valid driver’s license issued in Spain or Spanish residency permit, or from one of the Schengen Area states.
  • Kinderausweis travel documentation issued by the German government for German children under 10 years old.
  • Travel document issued based on the contents of the U.N. Convention relating to the Status of Refugees. Said document, which should be issued by a government in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 U.N. Convention, is accepted as a valid passport.

Travel document based on the contents of the U.N. Convention, which must be issued by one of the contracting States based on that stipulated in Article 27 of the 1954 U.N. Convention relating to the Status of Stateless Persons.

What documentation should children present?

Since June 26, 2012, in order to travel to or from Europe, all European citizens who are minors must have a personal identity document (passport or National ID, based on the destination). From this date forward, minors can no longer be included in the passports of their parents. Passports are only valid for their owners, and any minor added to the document should have their own passport or identity document. Please check with your passport issuing office for more information.

Italian Routes

Italian minors under 14 years of age can only fly duly accompanied and with one of the following types of identification:

  • An individual Italian National ID (national flights), which should be valid „per l’spatrio (for expatriation)“ for international flights.
  • An Italian passport (national and international flights).
  • For international flights and along with the individual Italian National ID valid for international flights or a valid Italian passport, any minor under the age of 14 not accompanied by their parents or legal guardians should carry a travel permit (Dichiarazione di Acompagno”) stating the identity of their escort, which should be validated by the corresponding Italian local authority (“Questura local”). For more information, please check with the corresponding local Italian authority.

Spanish Routes

Spanish minors under the age of 14 are exempted from proving their identity, for domestic flights in Spain where their identity is stated in the reservation. In such cases, the person who is traveling should duly identified and should take responsibility for the minors. In the event of reasonable doubt regarding the identity of these minors or of their companions, the following is requested:

  • If they travel with one of their parents, the family book.
  • If the person who accompanies the minor is not one of the parents or legal guardian, the minor should show a permit certified by a police department (by means of the appearance of the parents or legal guardian) in the name of the person who will be responsible for their custody during the trip, which will be corroborated with this person’s National ID or passport.

For international flights (EU or Other Countries), all minors (whether accompanied or not and regardless of their age) should show their National ID or valid passport, depending on their destination. If they are traveling alone, they should also have a permit (certified by a police commissioner, Civil Guard post, the courts, a notary public, or a mayor). Additionally, they should all comply with the requirements for the country that they are traveling to.